CITY OF BONES
WEEKLY CHAPTER REVIEW
- We start off with Clary Fray, fifteen, and her best friend, Simon, waiting in line to enter the Pandemonium Club.
- Clary notices an electric blue-haired boy with antifreeze green eyes in a red jacket who is joking to the bouncer that's he a vampire hunter which lets him pass into the club before Clary and her friend.
- The blue-haired boy trails a beautiful black-haired girl in a white dress through the club and follows her into a secluded storage area.
- We hear his thoughts while he watches everyone and the girl in the club. He uses glammour to alter people's view of him. We learn he's not human because he talks trash about humans, calling them "mundies" and how he drains them of energy.
- Clary thinks he's cute and is fixated on him. She notices that he's being followed by two guys, one of which has a knife. She asks Simon if he notices the two guys, but he doesn't see them, adding to Clary's interest.
- Clary gets the "brilliant" idea to follow them. Not the sharpest tool in the shed. She tells Simon she thinks he's in trouble so since he can't stop her from following, he goes to get help.
- We see a scene inside the storage room. The girl in the white dress is called Isabelle. We find out she is acting as bait, trying to lure the blue-haired boy into the room, where she and the two guys have set a trap. She notices that they have these swirling patterns that look like tattos on their skin.
- We find out that the three of them are called Shadowhunters. There is some "game day" banter about who's time in numbered. Blue-haired boy says their days are, which they retort in a dry wit. They interigate him, asking if there are any more "like him" around.
- Clary is sneaking around trying to hide in order to listen in on the conversation.
- The group talk about Demons, something called the Clave, and a person called Valentine. She manages to see that the blue-haired "boy" is tied up and the other two (who are clearly not tied up) are called Jace and Alec.
- She can see that Jace is about to stab the blue-haired boy and she flips out, coming out of hiding to yell at him to stop.
- The entire group is gobsmacked that she can see and hear them. They are all suppose to be under a glamour so that normal humans can't see them. They explain he's not a boy but a demon out to kill humans.
- The Shadowhunters aren't sure what to make of her, especially Jace. They argue about what to do with Clary and the blue-haired demon boy makes a run for Jace in the confusion. He seizes Jace's throat and his hands turn into claws. There is blood pouring from both and its clear now blue-haired boy is definately not human.
- There is a short fight, with the Alex and Isabelle stepping in to pull back the demon and Jace kills him. The demon shatters and dissolves away.
- After that's finished they have a lively debate about whether they should take Clary back with them to "the Institute." They start interigating her, pounding her with confusing questions about Night Children and warlocks. Clary thinks they are crazy.
- Simon finally shows up with the security guards but they quickly become annoyed at Clary since they don't see anyone else but her in the room. The Shadowhunters are invisible. She makes a feeble excuse for why she went in there, saying she lost them.
- Clary leaves with Simon and they head outside to hail a ride home in a cab. They argue over if the whole situation was real. Clary thinks she's crazy and Simon said with how scared she looked there was no way she could have made it up. Also, they debate if they'll ever go back to that club. Clary is still lost in confusion and not sure she can tell Simon EVERYTHING that happend when they get in the cab and take off.
" That's enough Jace," said the girl.
"Isabelle's right," agreed the taller boy. "Nobody here needs a lesson in semantics–or demonology."
They're crazy, Clary thought. Actually crazy.
"Stop!" she cried. "You can't do this."
Jace whirled, so startled that the knife flew form his hand and clattered against the concrete floor. Isabelle and Alec turned along with him, wearing identical expressions of astonishment. The blue-haired boy hung in his bonds, stunned and gaping.
It was Alec who spoke first. "What's this?" he demanded, looking from Clary to his companions, as if they might know what she was doing there.
"It's a girl," Jace said, recovering his composure. "Surely you've seen girls before, Alec. Your sister Isabelle is one."