CITY OF BONES
The Mortal Instruments Series
by Cassandra Clare
WEEKLY CHAPTER-BY-CHAPTER READ
• Simon and Clary arrive at Java Jones where Eric is already onstage, with pink hair.
Matt looks stoned behind him beating on a djembe.
• Clary declares this is going be awful but Simon says he's a man of his word and has to stay. He asks Clary if she wants anything to which she says "Just coffee. Black - like my soul." Simon mutters about how it was a far, far, better thing he did now than he had ever done before.
• The place was crowded as Clary looked for a seat and smelled of coffee and clove cigarettes. She found a seat in a darkened corner in the back. She thought Eric wouldn't be able to find them to ask them about how he did afterwards here. A blond girl in an orange tank top asked Clary if Simon was her boyfriend.
• The girl asked more about Simon but then he returned with the drinks. She started evaluating Simon's attractiveness. She tells him about the girl but gets interrupted by Eric wailing in the mike. They laugh over how bad he is.
• They pick up the dating talk. Simon wants to talk the fact he likes someone. Clary has no idea of who it is. Clary hears a laugh/cough and turns around to see Jace. She sees faint white lines like scars on his arms and a knife handle protruding from his cuff. Simon can't see him.
• He waves and leaves the store. Clary rushes out to catch him, leaving Simon bewildered. She's terrified he's vanished. He's leaning against the wall pushing buttons on what looks like a cell phone. They make small talk about Eric.
• Clary tries to get answers about what happened at the club from him and Jace answers with snarky bits. He talks about mundanes, Fair Folk and invisible people. He mentions Hodge thought she might be dangerous. Clary thinks they are.
CLICK BELOW TO SEE ALL
• He explains Hodge is his tutor. He asks for her right hand. He is disappointed to find nothing. He says Shadowhunter children get Marked on their right hands or left (if left handed) when they are young. Its a permanent rune that gives extra skill with weapons.
• Jace shows her his left hand and tells her to let her mind relax, and she suddenly sees tiny lines across the knuckles, the design jumps out at her like a neon sign. But then it vanishes after she blinks.
• He explains runes are a Mark and are burned into the skin. Different marks do different things. Some are permanent and some vanish when used up. He confirms she has the Sight. He tries to get her to go with him to the Institute to talk with Hodge.
• Clary wants to know why. He says because she's rare. He says demons are Downworlders and they are called Shadowhunters. Downworlders are demons, Night Children, Warlocks, vampires, werewolves, zombies, fey... basically the magical people in this dimension.
• He threatens to kidnap her if she doesn't come willingly when her phone rings. She picks up to hear her terrified mom screaming at her NOT to come home and to run to Simon's house and then there is bashing and crashing sounds.. her mom asks her to promise not to come home, to tell Luke that "he's found her". Then she hears a slithering noise and her mom says in an eery calm voice, "I love you" and then the line goes dead.
• Clary is frantically trying to call back, then breaks the phone when it drops from her terribly shaking hands. She grabs his phone.. which he says is a sensor.. rakes her nails across his cheek and makes a run for home.
"This is going to suck so hard," Clary predicted. She grabbed Simon's sleeve and tugged him toward the doorway. "If we make a run for it, we can still get away."
He shook his head determinedly. "I'm nothing if not a man of my word." He squared his shoulders. "I'll get the coffee if you find us a seat. What do you want?"
"Just coffee. Black – like my soul."
---- He screwed up his face as if in pain, and wailed into the mike. "Come, my faux juggernaut, my nefarious loins! Slather every protuberance with arid zeal!"
Simon slid down his seat. "Please don't tell anyone I know him."
Clary giggled. "Who uses the word 'loins'?"
"Eric," Simon said grimly. "All his poems have loins in them."
"Turgid is my torment!" Eric wailed. "Agony swells within!"
"You bet it does," Clary said.
"I said his poetry was terrible. It sounds like he ate a dictionary and started vomiting up words at random."
"I was laughing at you because declarations of love amuse me, especially when unrequited," he said.
Get a copy and read with me! Click on a link below: