CITY OF BONES
The Mortal Instruments Series
by Cassandra Clare
WEEKLY CHAPTER-BY-CHAPTER READ
PART TWO: Easy Is the Descent
CHAPTER 10 (PART 1):
City of Bones
• Clary and Jace are astonished about the news Valentine had a wife plus the fact that it was Clary's mom. She is upset and in denial.
• Hodge explained that once she realized how extreme Valentine's views were, she left. Second only to Lucian. Michael Wayland, Jace's father was third. Loyal followers were Pangborn, Blackwell and the Lightwoods. Shock and dismay.
• Hodge gave more details to the Uprising and the fallout afterward. The Lightwoods and Hodge were punished for their connection to Valentine.
• Jocelyn's real last name is Fray, not Fairchild. Hodge sent for the Brothers of the Bone City.
• Hodge reveals that Valentine will use The Cup to build himself an army. Isabelle cuts off the discussion announcing dinner. She kids them about the soup. The guys run off.
• Clary asks Isabelle if Jace really is a terrible liar. She says he doesn't lie on important things. He'll tell you horrible truths.
• Simon was still in the kitchen staring after Isabelle. They discuss Joceyln and Valentine's relationship. He's trying to flirt. They discuss how Valentine would actually use The Cup to make an army. You could only use it on human children. Only 20% would survive the process. They all went green at the thought.
• Valentine said the humans should now repay the Shadowhunters for their help.
The group is appalled. It goes against everything they are about. Hodge mentioned a son in passing, but went on to say they thought he was killed in a fire. The Clave will not be happy.
CLICK BELOW TO SEE WHOLE CHAPTER REVIEW
• Hodge wants them to all stay out of it. It is too dangerous. Alec agrees. The rest argue. Jace says they need to unlock what is in Clary's mind to find her mother. They discuss the Silent Brothers.
• Clary is afraid but Jace says what's in her mind belongs to her and doesn't she want to know the truth about her own life? He promises to go with her and stay with her. That makes Simon mad. Alec gets upset as well. They are tired of Simon being there because he is a mundane.
• Clary decides to go to her room. Jace is concerned she hasn't eaten. She brushes him off.
• Clary has a vivid dream about Simon and Jace. She wakes with a start to find her wrists being held down.... by Jace. He said she tried to hit him the second he said her name. She didn't remember actually going to her room. Jace explains that he found her asleep on the hallway floor and Hodge helped him get her to her room.
• It's 5:00am and she's made he woke her up. The Silent Brothers were there to see her. Jace said he offered to wake her up so she'd have something nice to look at.
• He convinces her to meet Brother Jeremiah.
"It wouldn't be my move," Jace agreed. "First the candy and flowers, then the apology letters, then the ravenous demon hordes. In that order."
Jace's eyes sparked, but he said calmly, "Not at all. The Silent Brothers can help her retrieve her memories."
"You hate the Silent Brothers," protested Isabelle.
"I don't hate them," said Jace candidly. "I'm afraid of them. It's not the same thing."
"I thought you said they were librarians," said Clary.
"They are librarians."
Simon whistled. "Those must be some killer late fees."
Get a copy and read with me! Click on a link below: