CITY OF BONES
The Mortal Instruments Series
by Cassandra Clare
WEEKLY CHAPTER-BY-CHAPTER READ
PART TWO: Easy Is the Descent
DEAD MAN'S PARTY
• The group make their way down to an industrial neighborhood in Brooklyn. Simon was fascinated with the Sensor... and Isabelle.
• Clary was lagging behind and Jace dropped back to banter with her.
• Clary is worried about meeting the guy who messed with her head, and what she will find when they unblock her memories. Jace tries to comfort her when they reach the party.
• Jace wants to keep talking to Clary when Alec interrupts. They didn't realize he was so close by. They know they are at the right place because several sleek vampire motorcycles are parked out front. The boys run on autophile mode for a few minutes drooling over them.
• The front door had a buzzer with BANE written over it. The door flew open and Magnus Bane answered. He was tall and thin as a rail, with dense, spiky black hair. Clary thought he was part Asian due to his eyes and skin tone. He wore jeans and a black shirt covered with dozens of metal buckles. He had charcoal glitter eye shadow and dark blue lipstick on. He didn't recall inviting Shadowhunters.
• Isabelle showed him the invite, and he took it saying he must have been drunk. He let them in, asking them not to murder anybody.
• Jace makes a snarky comment and Magnus whips out Jace's stele before any of them can blink. He shoves it into Jace's pants and tells him to "keep it in his pants, Shadowhunter."
• They hesitantly entered, wary of the glowing stuff on the handrails. Simon checks in on Clary. The loft was huge and almost empty of furniture. There were all kinds of downworlders there... with lilac skin, extra limbs, sharp teeth and more.
• Simon and Isabelle were on the dance floor (Izzy was slinking around him trailing her fingers across his chest), Jace looked like he already scored, Alec was sullen.
• Jace was interrupted talking to Magnus by a muscular, bald, goatee wearing vampire who was pissed because someone poured holy water into the gas tank on his bike, ruining it. They argued. Magnus said if some did show up and ruined his bike they weren't his responsibility. The vamp got in his face and Magnus's glitter-coated index finger twitched just a bit. the vamp gagged and clutched his throat. Magnus kicked him out. Clary noticed Magnus's eyes had vertical slit pupils.
• He made the vamp turn and leave with his powers. That impressed Jace. Magnus made a joke and Alec laughed. He admitted to putting the holy water in the tank.
• They force Magnus to talk with threats of a visit from the Silent City, so they go into his bedroom to talk. The bed had canary yellow sheets, electric blue vanity, rainbow velvet curtains and more make up that Isabelle.
• Jace commented that it paid to be the High Warlock of Brooklyn, to which Magnus said yes, but no dental.
• Clary tries to explain her situation to Magnus. He tells her to ask her mom or dad and makes a snarky comments to which Jace gets mad over.
• He lies and tries to say he doesn't know anything. Jace cuts to the chase telling him they know about his mind work. Magnus smiled bitterly. He said "His signature" was a folly. Clary was in disbelief.
CLICK BELOW TO SEE WHOLE CHAPTER REVIEW
• He signed the air with golden letters. He was proud of his work on Clary. So clean and perfect he said. He made it so no memory of a downworlder or Shadowhunter would linger in her mind, just the way her mother wanted it.
"Keep up," said an irritable voice in her ear. It was Jace, who had dropped back to walk beside her. "I don't want to have to keep looking behind me to make sure nothing
happened to you."
"So don't bother."
"Last time I left you alone, a demon attacked you," he pointed out.
"Well, I'd certainly hate to interrupt your pleasant night stroll with my sudden death."
He blinked. "there is a fine lie between sarcasm and outright hostility, and you seem
to have crossed it. What's up?"
She bit her lip. "This morning, weird creepy guys dug in around in my brain. Now I'm going to meet the weird creepy guy who originally dug around in my brain. What if I don't like what he finds?"
She felt Jace's fingers brush her shoulder. "Absolutely. Always," he murmured.
Isabelle took out the invitation and waved it like a white flag. "I have an invitation. These" - she indicated the rest of the group with a grand wave of her arm-"are my friends."
Magnus plucked the invitation out of her hand and looked at it with fastidious distaste. "I must have been drunk," he said. He threw the door open. "Come in. And try not to murder any of my guests."
Jace edged into the doorway, sizing up Magnus with his eyes. "Even if one of them spills a drink on my new shoes?"
"As for this," Magnus said, sliding it into Jace's jeans pocket, "keep it in your pants, Shadowhunter."
Get a copy and read with me! Click on a link below: