CITY OF BONES
The Mortal Instruments Series
by Cassandra Clare
CATCH UP WEEK!
PART TWO: Easy Is the Descent
• Hodge was pissed at Jace for the whole incident and gave him a huge lecture.
• Jace and Simon are taken to the infirmary. Alec is not happy with Clary and is very sharp with her when she checks in on the boys. Jace wants her to give him a sponge bath and Clary jokes that it was Simon who offered to do that task.
• Simon wants to talk to her and she tells him to stop by her room later. He then kisses her on her check, surprising her. She was baffled as she left the room.
• Alec chases her down in the hall and tells her she should go home. She reminds him her home was infested with Forsaken and Raveneres. He insists she must have some relatives.
Clary reminds him that Hodge wants her to stay. Alec can't believe that and declares that SHE almost got Jace killed by running off after Simon.
• Clary cuts him off and sets him straight. That it was Jace's idea and he did all the asking, etc. He would have gone alone. Alec says that Jace wants to save the world and doesn't mind dying. He said she shouldn't encourage him to try dying.
• She is confused... she clarifies what the purpose of a Shadowhunter is. She asked how that night was different and Alec yells that he left him behind. He starts chewing her up... telling her she's dead weight, a mundane.
• Clary fires back that she's not. But Alec points out she has no training or skills. He says she belongs in the mundane world and not there making Jace act weird.
• That enrages Clary and they argue some more. Alec's words push Clary over the edge in her rage and she blows up at Alec. She reminds him that he is selfish and he's too afraid to kill a demon. Alec wouldn't believe it when Clary told him that Jace talked about it on the way to the hotel. Then, she set off the master bomb by yelling that Alec is only acting this way because he is in love with Jace.
• Alec shoved her so fast against the wall, her head striking it very hard. He threatened her to never say that to Jace or he would kill her. Alec was gripping her arms too tight and then walked away. She was appalled at what she had done, because she knew she was pushing his buttons.
CLICK BELOW TO SEE WHOLE CHAPTER REVIEW
• She couldn't sleep, so she started sketching. First little sketches of the hotel, and other objects from that night. She drew Raphael and then Jace. Clary drew wings on his back. Then she tried drawing her mother. She realized she could remember seeing her mother's scars. That epiphany made her so sad she put her things away.
• Simon knocked and came in. He was still in his torn clothes and hadn't showered. They sat down and chatted a bit.
• He was overwhelmed that she came back for him. That she would risk so much and brave all those vampires to save him. She said he'd do the same and he points out that he has always needed her more than she needed him. That she doesn't need anyone. He talks about their interactions from the past.
• She told him he's one of three people she's ever loved and he is important. They chat some more.
• They end up laying on her bed like they have since childhood and Clary noticed his smell in comparison to Jace's.
• Simon tells her he was cracking jokes about vampires to Isabelle right before it happened. He asks if she's sleeping with Jace. He said he first thought Izzy was exciting but then decided she's crazy. Simon took full responsibility for drinking the blue drink. He said it upset him that Clary looked so comfortable in this new world of hers and that he wanted to do something to be more a part of it.
• They talk about his time as a rat and at the hotel. Then Simon falls asleep. He didn't leave her any room on the bed. She was debating her options when Jace knocked on the door. He had washed up.
• He thought he'd woken her up since she was in her PJs. They chatter for a bit. Jace starts spouting nonsense and Clary starts to shut the door.
• He spits out that he's there because Hodge told him it's her birthday. He wants to celebrate. She says he just wants to hide from Alec and Isabelle. Jace holds up a bag of food. He offers to take her to the greenhouse to eat.
"You've endangered other people with your willfulness. This is one incident I will not allow you to shrug off!"
"I wasn't planning to," Jace said. "I can't shrug anything off. My shoulder's dislocated."
"Do you remember back at the hotel when you promised that if we lived, you'd get dressed up in a nurse's outfit and give me a sponge bath?"
"Actually, I think you misheard," Clary said. "It was Simon who promised you the sponge bath."
Jace looked involuntarily over at Simon, who smiled at him widely. "As soon as I'm back on my feet, handsome."
"Being a rat? No. First it was disorienting. I was suddenly at ankle-level with everyone. I thought I'd drunk a shrinking potion, but I couldn't figure out why I had this urge to chew used gum wrappers."
Get a copy and read with me! Click on a link below: