CITY OF BONES
The Mortal Instruments Series
by Cassandra Clare
WEEKLY CHAPTER-BY-CHAPTER READ
PART TWO: Easy Is the Descent
THE HOTEL DUMORT
• Jace and Clary reach the Diamond Street church and Jace uses his stele to unlock the gate. Clary was checking him out as he worked.. which turned to annoyance when he opened his mouth.
• He opens the church by reciting a Shadowhunter verse.They made their way to the front of the church. Jace explained the stone walls keep the heat out. She said she shivered because she hadn't ever been in a church before.
• Jace explained the different areas of the church. They get to the alter and he opened the floor to reveal Shadowhunter weapons. He said all churches have an area kept hidden for this purpose, regardless of religion. He takes out holy water, blessed knives, steel and silver blades and more.
• Clary is shocked to find that Jace is not a believer. They discuss the existence of God and angels. He said his father believed in God and His Will for events, Jace knew he stopped believing that God cared. He thinks we are all on our own.
• They hop the train to get to The Hotel Dumort. They finally find the hotel. It was all boarded up, and Jace explained the vampires flew to the top. They were going to break in. Clary noted that Jace looked really excited about the whole thing.
• Jace told her to stay out of the light in case they were watching. They go around the side to find bones... lots of them. They have to move the trash to get to any kind of door. They were arguing over the best way to move it when a guy suddenly appears.
• They were frozen with surprise. A spanish speaking guy steps out of the shadows. They converse a bit. They guy tells them they should not go into a haunted place like that and offers to walk them to the subway to keep them safe. Jace calls him on his cover. The guys name is Raphael. he knows about the vampires and hates them for what they did to his brother. Jace shows him his blade to Raphael's amazement. He finally shows Jace where is brother and his friends got in.
CLICK BELOW TO SEE WHOLE CHAPTER REVIEW
• Jace jumped down through the window first and then Clary jumped after him. He caught her, her dress rucking up around her thighs and his hand grazing her legs as she slid down his arms. He let go almost immediately.
• They start walking and hear Raphael land. They argue. The group moves to the upper floors. As they walk, Clary notices baffling things, like missing stairs. Raphael said it was a way of showing the place was theirs... his eyes gleaming... making Jace look at him.
• There was a scream and Raphael was gone. Clary had had a bad feeling, saying they needed to go to the servants stairs, and Raphael started for the door. Jace called for him and through his knife, hitting him in the chest and knocking him down. Jace then shoved Clary out of the way and jumped on Raphael. Raphael tried to seize the knife but screamed when he came in contact with the holy blade. He laughed and grinned (showing his incisors.)
• He asked when Jace figured it out. In the alley, Jace replied. The scar from where his cross had been clued Jace in. The story was about him, not his brother. Clary looks up to find the balconies full of vampires. Raphael knew who Jace was... calling him by his last name.
• Clary begs Jace not to kill him but to use him as a hostage. They start talking to the crowd. They say they broke Covenant law by coming there. Clary quickly proposes a trade.. Raphael for Simon.
• They confirm they have Simon, who they thought was another one of their own. Lily stops the one from handing Simon over, convinced they will kill Raphael when they get Simon. Simon bit the guy for the sixth time. They made Jace swear by the angel.
• They don't promise not to kill Simon as its all technicalities anyway. Raphael said the Accords and Covenant will be gone soon anyway because the Downworlders are all talking about Valentine being back. He paid a warlock to raise a pack of Raveners last week. When Valentine finds the cup, there will be only war, and Raphael states he will be free to tear his heart out.
• Clary jumps in and dives for Simon, snatching him out of Elliott's hands. Lily catches her and Clary fights back. Then Jacob catches her. Jace throws holy water and she is freed.
• There is a huge fight. Jace and Raphael fight. Simon races over and bites Raphael. They try to escape. Raphael commands all the vampires to kill them. They banter.
• They start fighting off the vamps and Clary uses one of the blades too to fend them off.
• The window exploded inward in a shower of broken glass. The vampires whirl around in astonishment as dozens of werewolves jump in through the window.
"Don't." Clary raised a warning hand. "I'm not really in the mood right now."
"That's got to be the first time a girl's ever said that to me," Jace mused.
"Stick with me and it won't be the last."
The corner of Jace's mouth twitched.
"Shouldn't we stand back to back or something?"
"I don't know. In movies that's what they do in this kind of... situation."
She felt him shake. Was he frightened? No, he was laughing. "You," he breathed. "You are the most-"
"The most what?" she demanded indignantly.
"Now this," said Jace, "is a situation."
Get a copy and read with me! Click on a link below: