CITY OF BONES
The Mortal Instruments Series
by Cassandra Clare
PART TWO: Easy Is the Descent
THE MORTAL CUP
• Jace is pretending to sleep when he hears banging at his door. Repeatedly. He gets ups stiffly since the accident really did rough up his body.
• He thought it was going to be Simon, but it was Clary with her sketchpad. His heart goes into overdrive looking at her.
• He stands there contemplating why she is beautiful and knowing he had talked hurtfully to her before.
• He's snarky and she is really upset and says its important. He brushes her off and she yells at him. Jace feels a strong protective feeling wash over him and wants to comfort her... at first for him. She tells him she thinks she knows where her Mom hid The Cup.
• Jace stares at her when she says her mom hid it INSIDE a painting. He reluctantly lets her in and she notices how Monkish his room is. She shows him a coffee cup drawing. Clary reaches INTO the paper and pulls out the cup.
• He asks her which rune she used and she said it just came to her, she didn't know. Jace questions where she could have seen it before.
• Clary tells Jace that The Cup is in the Ace of Cups card in Madame Dorothea's tarot deck. Jace confirms why that would be a secure location to hide it.
• Clary wishes it hadn't been hidden so well but Jace said that was probably what is keeping her mom alive.
• Jace wakes everyone at dawn to discuss how to get The Cup. He wants to handle on their own and Alec wants to play by the rules, and he isn't happy that Jace is obsessed with Clary and getting hurt.
• Jace says that Clary is the only one Madame Dorothea will hand it over to, and Alec said she could go alone. Everyone is shocked.
CLICK BELOW TO SEE WHOLE CHAPTER REVIEW
• Jace gets Clary to call Simon to pick them up in the band's van, so they don't have to haul the Cup in the subway. Simon is not happy about it.
• Everyone is getting ready while Hodge and Clary finish breakfast. Hodge talks about the unbalanced feelings between Alec, Jace, Clary and Simon. Unrequited love can cause hate.
• Hodge talks about her how her mother had a best friend when she was young that loved her but she never saw it. It was Luke. Hodge explained that when she married Valentine, he couldn't take it and left the circle. And when he reappeared, he knew it was enough just to be near her. He says that he probably hated her too for hurting him and is not going after her as pay back. Clary denies that Luke would do such a thing.
• They talk about how to contact Valentine to let him know they have The Cup and then they get ready to go, including applying Marks.
• Simon pulls up and they load up the van. It is pretty beat up which earns lot of snarky comments. Simon notices Alec's bow and they stare at him when he announces he did archery for six years at camp.
• Clary talks about Simon's curt hello to her. They talked some about last night, when he said he loves her and she didn't love him back the same way.
• The group gets out, checks the demon levels and prep to go in.
• They knock on Madame Dorothea's door, and sit down with her, talking over what's happened.
• Madame Dorothea reminds Jace of what his tea leaves showed her. Jace makes some witty remarks about only being in love with himself.
• They tell her about her mother and The Cup, and they see something flicker behind The Lady's eyes. They tell her she has it and she gets upset.
• Clary takes the card, asks for Jace's steele and creates a rune. Then she pulls out The Cup.
"I forgot that's what gets you all hot and bothered, Jace. Girls killing things."
"I like anyone killing things," he said equably. "Especially me."
"That's the van? It looks like a rotting banana."
"Didn't I read your tea leaves, Shadowhunter? Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?"
Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
Dorothea roared with laughter. "At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
"Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally just to make it interesting."
Get a copy and read with me! Click on a link below: